Getting My protagonist out of the hospital

Recently, I traveled down the coast to Eureka. I had some banking business to take care of and I decided to do a little research for Smoked. In one scene, the protagonist and friends meet at a Crescent City, CA Starbucks. It has been a long time since I'd been there, I couldn't remember a lot of the details, so I took notes. It gave me a surge of energy to be doing something proactive in getting the fine points right. However, since this is my first draft, I know I'll have a lot of fine points to rewrite. But, that's what writing a book is all about. On the trip, I found out that I had gotten some geographical locations in the wrong county, so I definitely will have to redo those.

As Bill and I were traveling along the North Coast, I imagined my characters negotiating the terrain. Most importantly, how will Mary get back to Six Rivers County (SRC) from her hospital stay in Del Norte County? What would be going through her head as she is driven through the tunnels of redwood forests? What animals will she see? We saw a lot of elk. In fact, I was so worried about hitting an elk that I'm sure I was going slower than the other drivers would have liked. Mary is a writing instructor, so she will be observant. I also gave myself the task of creating new coastal terrain that Six Rivers Co. will have, wedged as it is between Del Norte and Humboldt Counties. In reality, Six Rivers Co. is a combination of the two, as I remember them.

The people in my book are composites of people I met while I lived there. My attempts at making them real stem from all the hours of observation and interaction with the wonderful people of the North Coast. Will this make my work regional? I hope so.

The region of SRC is coming together as I write. The history is leading us back to the events and social structures that populate Smoked.

Stay tuned for more of Stanislau and his lovely Ellen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to handle gore

Starting Over

The Long Haul