The Long Haul


In my last post, I reviewed a great book. It is number 5 in a series, and I have read all of them. Each one stands on its own, but as a series, they sing.

What makes a good series so compelling? A couple of things. First, you get to know the characters in much more depth than you would in just one book. Second, you have that over-arching mystery or conflict that continues to develop through all the books. In each book, then, the author reveals a little more, sometimes coming very close to solving the main character's conflict—that conflict that put them on the path that brought them to the mysteries they solve in each book.

My mission in writing Smoked is to give it a prolonged story arc that will follow the main characters throughout a series. The continuing conflict involves a writing professor at Six Rivers University, who must match wits with a syndicate king-pin. The mob boss masquerades as an upright citizen, pretending to be against drugs of any kind, supporting the ban on all marijuana, even for medicinal purposed. And all the while, he's recruiting others to distribute the illegal substance, raking in big profits, and laundering the cash through his business. Mary, our professor and Sam, a county deputy sheriff, come close to stopping the drug lord/business man, but I must sustain this over at least 3 books.

Carrying the conflict over several books takes a lot of forethought and planning. I find that as I write the first book, I'm mindful of setting up each character and scene to inform the ensuing conflicts in the series.

I'm interested in how others do this. Any writers out there who are dealing with this and can share their experience? Let's hear from you.

Comments

  1. It is hard to be a seat-of-the-pants writer if you are writing a series. It doesn't work. Or, you end up putting in a lot of new stuff about a character you never think about when writing the previous book. But, I haven't finished book two. We'll see if I get caught in my own trap. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't worry about it too much, Jennifer. I enjoy what you write.

    As for me? Where I need the most improvement is in planning in more detail. I know what should happen, but take too long in figuring it out as I go. My goal is to learn from my mistakes for the rest of the series.

    Keep writing. You're one of the better ink jockeys.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to handle gore

Starting Over